Jamu is a traditional Indonesian herbal medicine that dates back at least 1300 years! While most jamu concoctions used to contain a whole variety of roots, seeds, flowers, herbs, and spices, most versions today come infused with turmeric! Adding a pinch of black pepper will help to absorb the curcumin which is the active ingredient in turmeric.
- ½ cup washed turmeric root, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup of ginger root, roughly chopped
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Juice of 2 lime
- Pinch of pepper
- Place the turmeric, ginger & 1 cup water in a blender & blitz on high speed until the mixture is pureed.
- Pour the mix & remaining water into a saucepan, boil & then simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir through the honey & pepper.
- Use a nut milk bag or muslin cloth to strain the mixture.
- Store in an airtight bottle in the fridge for up to a week & enjoy hot or cold. Add fresh lime juice to your jamu each time you drink it.